YOU WILL NEED: 1. your favorite vintage bow tie 2. a large surface to cut on 3. fabric shears and paper scissors 4. one yard of your favorite fabric 5. a sewing machine and thread to match your fabric 6. pins 7. a large sheet of sturdy paper (to make your pattern) 8. a pencil!
1. Place your bow tie on your pattern paper, pin or pushpin it to the paper and trace it with a pencil.
2. Remove your bow tie from the paper and cut out your pattern with your paper scissors!
3. place your pattern on your fabric and pin or pushpin it securely.
4. Cut out your pattern (twice! for both sides of the tie) with your fabric shears.
(you may or may not choose to interface before this step)
5. Place both sides together, and pin. Thread your machine properly and sew along the edges of the bow tie. I secured the pieces with a simple stitch, then went back over the edges with a zig zag stitch (but you don't have to!)
Here's what the bow tie looked like after this step! (after I tied it)
And you can hand sew your own little creative details on if you'd like!
Hope it's not confusing! Sewing is your friend! ;D
Feel free to ask me any questions!
*note* there are many ways to make a bow tie. I wanted to try a shabby chic style for my friend (who I feel like would appreciate this most!) If you want to make a cleaner and more classic bow tie, leave yourself about 5/8 inch of seam allowance on all the edges. Then place the wrong sides of the bow tie together and sew! Use a stick to poke the bowtie inside out and hand sew the remaining hole you used to turn it inside out. Enjoy!
love, polly :)